Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

SML Week 1 Day 3


Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some
of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my
family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very
special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are
many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information
about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the
template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need
help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

SAMPLE PEPEHA
Ko                    Mt Wellington              te maunga    The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko                   Tamaki                          te awa          The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko                 Unknown                         te waka The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko               Tongan, Samoan Niuean         tōku tīpuna My founding ancestor is…
Ko                          Tongan                          tōku iwi          My tribe is…
Ko                   Samoa                                  tōku hapu My sub-tribe is…
Ko                          Unknown                      tōku marae My marae is…
Ko                           New Zealand                ahau I am from…
Ko                Viviena and FuiFui                  ōku mātua  My parents are … and …
Ko                       Loto                                  tōku ingoa. My name is …


90668006.jpg

MY PEPEHA
Ko Gatineau te maunga.
Ko Mississippi te awa.
Ko James Telford Stirling tōku tīpuna.
Ko Williamson-Stirling tōku iwi.
Ko Williamson tōku hapū.
Ko Almonte tōku marae.
Ko Almonte, Canada ahau.
Ko Leslie rāua, ko Ron oku mātua.
Ko Rachel tōku ingoa.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Loto
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    I love your pepeha you did such an amazing job on this. This really is helpful if someone wants to know you better. Was this task hard for you to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Loto,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team!

    Well done! You've done a great job with your pepeha. It can be difficult filling in some of those gaps but you've done a great job!
    I think it's important to know our pepeha because it allows us to acknowledge our ancestors and create a better understanding of who we are and how we fit into our lives. What do you think?

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over the summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.