Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

SML Week 1 day 2



Day 2: It’s All in a Day’s Work


Activity 1: A House or a Home?


In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had
many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored
goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni
had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the
picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?
Answer: A little bit

On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two
similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?


From my point of view the difference are:


My house     丨     Similarities     丨     Wharepuni


Door                              Roof                                 Made out of wood
Roof                              Window                           Have carving around it
Kitchen                         Rooms to sleep in         Smaller comparing to my house                                                          
Bathroom                      More than 1 room                                                                
Toilets                                                                                         
Living room
Made out of bricks
Steps
Window
Rooms to sleep in

2 comments:

  1. Hi Loto,

    My name's Ruby from the Summer Learning Journey. I'm really looking forward to reading your blog over the summer!

    These are really good similarities and differences. Well done. I like how you have laid out your thinking so clearly. It is really easy to see your thinking.

    One of the differences I had for my house was that there was no glass in the windows of a wharepuni but there is glass in my windows. How do you think they would have kept creatures out of their houses?

    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Loto
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    These are really good similarities and differences.Keep it up. What was your favourite part about this activity?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.