Pages

Wednesday 27 December 2017

SLJ - Week 2 day 3 - (Activty 1 to 2)



Day 3: The Great Depression (The 1930s)


Unfortunately, the wealth and success of the 1920s did not continue
into the 1930s. Instead, the stock market in America crashed on
Tuesday 29 October 1929. When this happened, people lost a lot
of money and much of the world sunk into a deep, financial depression.
The 1930s is often referred to as the ‘Great Depression.’

Activity 1: Dealing with Stress
In New Zealand, many people lost their jobs during this decade. Experts
predict that as much as 30% of the population was unemployed. It was a
very stressful time for families.


Sadly, many of us still experience stress in our lives to this day. When I feel
stressed I try to go for a walk or pop into my local gym for a quick workout.
Exercise makes me feel better. What about you?


On your blog, please tell us what you do when you want to relax or de-stress.
Do you read a favourite book, watch a favourite television show or talk to
someone special?
 What are your tips for dealing with stress?

How I relax is taking a nap and also by watching some youtubers on
youtube. When I do this, this really helps me relax a lot. I just sit
down or lay down and watch all my favourite youtubers which makes
me laugh. Their are also many stuff that makes me relax but this is the best for me.



Activity 2: Offering a Helping Hand
During this period, people struggled to find work both here at home and
overseas. It was a really tough time for people living in the Great Plains of
the United States because they were hit with a huge drought that lasted for
most of the decade. Many crops were damaged and farmers were not able
to make enough money to feed their families.


Imagine that you were alive in the 1930s. What could you have done to help
these families? On your blog, list three different ways that you could raise
funds for families to help them buy food and clothing. Be as creative as you
can with your fundraising ideas!

  • I could put up a toy sale
  • Puppet shows for kids
  • Mowing people's lawn and car wash



1 comment:

  1. Hi Loto,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to be reading more of your activities. Keep up the good work!

    Activity 1: Those are great ways to relax and de-stress! Having a nap is always a good option. What YouTubers do you watch? I watch videos of my favourite comedians on YouTube sometimes and that's always lots of fun.
    Mostly what I do when I get stressed is play the piano really loudly. Sometimes this annoys my family but they always get over it :)

    Activity 2: Those are great ideas! People always love having clean cars and short lawns so I think you'd be able to make a lot of money by doing those things.
    What sorts of toys would you be selling? I wonder if you would make new toys or sell old ones that you had when you were younger.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.