Pages

Tuesday 26 December 2017

SLJ - Week 2 day 2 - (Activity 1 to 2)

Day 2: The Roaring 20’s (The 1920s)


Activity 1: Popular Culture – The Silent Movie
The 1920s saw a massive surge in the number of people going to
the movies. Huge new cinemas were built in both Auckland (The Civic Theatre)
and Dunedin (Empire De Luxe).  The most popular type of movies
showing at local NZ cinemas were ‘silent’ films. Gold Rush is an example
of an iconic silent film. It features a famous actor named Charlie Chaplin.

Watch the trailer for Gold Rush. On your blog, tell us what you think
the movie is about. There are no words spoken movie so you will
need to pay careful attention to what the actors are doing! Do you
think you would enjoy watching a silent film? Why/Why not?

For me I would not enjoy watching a silent film just because I won't
understand that much. It is just because I cannot hear anything which
make me sleep and I don't understand what the whole thing is about.
I understood what this silent movie was about but I think that's all.


Activity 2: Art Deco

In the 1920s a new artistic movement emerged in New Zealand
(and around the world). It was called ‘Art Deco.’ The picture to
the right is a classic example of an ‘Art Deco’ piece. Take a close
look at the painting. Do you like it?

On your blog, give the painting a rating out of 5 stars (1 star = terrible painting,
2 stars = pretty bad painting, 3 stars = okay painting, 4 stars = good painting
and 5 stars = amazing painting). After you’ve rated the painting out of 5,
tell us why you gave it that rating.

Right: Self Portrait By Tamara de Lempicka

For me it’s a obvious 5 star (Amazing painting)  painting because the texture
makes it stand out really good. As you look at the picture you will
already know what it is. It is a lady driving a car (Which you already know). But
this is a big 5 star.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Loto, thanks for reviewing this painting. It's great to see you continuing to work hard throughout your summer holidays.

    I like how you've spoken about the texture of the painting. It's great to hear you talking about specifics. What do you think of the colours used? Do you like her outfit? I like the light gleaming on the car.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Loto,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team. I've just been reading your work for activity 1.

    It's fair enough that you wouldn't want to watch a silent movie! You would need to focus on it a lot. There is music playing all throughout the movie which can sometimes help you understand what's happening in the film. But it's still hard to understand.
    What sorts of movies do you like to watch?

    I would like to watch a silent movie but I wouldn't watch them all the time. I like to do other things while I watch movies so I end up listening to most of it and not watching it! But that wouldn't really work with a silent movie.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.