Pages

Thursday 21 December 2017

SLJ Week 1 Day 4



Bonus Activity: Musical Festivals – Matatini


In New Zealand, a huge festival is held every two years, called Te Matatini.
This performing arts festival celebrates the tikanga (culture or customs) of
Māori. Kapa Haka groups from around New Zealand are invited to attend the
festival and each group gives a 25-minute performance. The performances are
judged and the best teams win prizes.


The gold medal winning team from this year (2017) was Te Kapa Haka o Whāngārā Mai Tawhiti.


Watch these three clips from previous Te Matatini festivals.


Te Iti Kahurangi

Te Puku o Te Ika


1. Tamatea Arikinui - Rank - 9 and a half /10 - The reason why this is in first
place is because while there singing the girls are dancing and the boys a moving
side to die like the wave. All of them are singing together.

2. Te Puku o Te Ika - Rank - 9/10 - The reason why this is in second place is because
they sing with pride and someone has past away :(

3. Te Iti Kahurangi - Rank - 7/10 - The reason why this is last is not because I don't like
it but the first and second placers were kind of better. But this is very good.

BONUS POINTS: 6

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Loto,

    I enjoyed reading your post and the explanations that you gave for ranking the three videos in order from 1 - 3. I, too, really liked Tamatea Arikinui and thought that the team performing the waiata did a lovely job with their performance.

    Have you ever performed in front of a group of people? I had to speak in front of a large audience the other day for my job at the university and it made me really nervous. I'm hoping that, with time, I'll find that it gets easier :)

    I hope that you will continue to blog with us this summer. You've been on fire - posting so many blogging activities already. Way to go!

    Keep up the great work, Loto.

    Best,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Loto
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    Wow! good work for completing this activity. Have you ever performed a haka before?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.