Pages

Monday 25 December 2017

SLJ - Week 2 day 1 - (Bonus Activity)


Bonus Activity: In Flanders Fields


As the new century dawned, New Zealanders settled into a period
of relative calm. The calm lasted for about 15 years but came to a
sudden end in 1914 when World War I erupted in Europe. The war
lasted for almost five years and claimed the lives of 18,000 New Zealanders.


It also claimed the lives of thousands of men and women from countries
around the world. Every year, we remember these brave men and women
on ANZAC Day (25 April). Many people go to a special Anzac Day
ceremony where they read a special poem that was written for the fallen
soldiers. The poem is called ‘In Flanders Fields’ by John McCrae.


Read the poem. On your blog, tell us what you think of the poem. Do
#you like it? How does it make you feel?


It makes me feel very lucky to live in a beautiful, safe country like New
Zealand. It also makes me feel sad for those who died in the war and
for their families. I think that we are very lucky that they went to war
and fought for our freedom. What do you think?

That poem made me think over and over again what army men did for
us. I’d imagine what it will be like if they didn’t go to fight for our freedom.
But what they did for us was insane. They fought for our freedom and died.
I also feel sad for them and for all their family members. I am so glad to be
living in a safe environment in New Zealand.




BONUS POINTS: 10

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Loto, it's great to hear that this poem has made you more thankful and grateful for the sacrifices of the army men and their families.
    I couldn't agree with you more, I am very glad that we live in New Zealand which is so far away from the rest of the world and all of the horrific wars and things.

    Great post Loto, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.