Pages

Monday 1 January 2018

SLJ - Week 3 day 1 - (1,2 and bonus Activity)

Day 1: White Picket Fences (The 1950s)


In the 1950s, things settled down in New Zealand. There were
no international wars or intense, national conflicts. Many kiwis
were able to settle down, get married, buy a home and start a family.


Activity 1: Meat and Three Veg
dinner (2).jpg
It was common for women in the 1950s to stay home with their
children and raise their family. They were called ‘housewives.’
Many housewives followed a simple rule when they prepared the
evening meal: the ‘meat and three veg’ rule. This meant that they
prepared dinners that included three different vegetables and a type
of meat (eg. beef, lamb, or chicken).


On your blog tell us if you think that the ‘meat and three veg’ rule is a
good one. Do you like the rule? Would you enjoy eating a typical 1950s
dinner? Why or why not?


For me it's alright having three vegetables and a meat on a plate but
that shouldn’t be a rule. I would not have that rule. I would not like
to have the same thing everyday. That's just my opinions.





Activity 2: What’s in a Name?
During the 1950s the population of New Zealand grew by
400,000 people. That is huge! In fact, so many people were having
babies that many people refer to this period in our history as the
‘baby boom.’ Popular baby names in 1950s New Zealand were:


GIRLS BOYS
Christine John
Susan David
Margaret   Peter
Judith Michael
Jennifer Robert


Read through the lists. Are these popular names in your school? On
your blog, tell us which names are currently popular in your school.
Please provide, at least, three girls’ names and three boys’ names
that are popular.


Boys           Girls


Miami          Luisa
Inoke           Aaliyahana
George       Newsam


Bonus Activity: Snail Mail
nz postcard.jpg
In the 1950s, most people communicated with one another by
writing letters. According to the NZ history website, New Zealanders
sent over 200 million letters and postcards between 1950 and
1960. That is an average of 87 letters per person!


For this activity, imagine that you are living in New Zealand in the
1950s. Use Google Draw* to design the front of a postcard that
you could send to a friend. Try to include elements of Kiwiana
in your design (e.g. Pohutukawa trees, Hokey Pokey ice cream, etc).
Post a copy of your postcard picture to your blog. Be sure to describe
what you have drawn on your blog beneath the picture.




This photo is includes a Kiwi, peacock, a Tui bird and a pohutukawa
tree. I have also added two background pictures for this postcard.


*You will need to make a copy of the Google Draw template
to create your postcard.


BONUS POINTS: 16

9 comments:

  1. Hey there Loto, my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey programme. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the meat and three veg rule. I like that you acknowledged how you would get sick of eating the same thing every night. I think I would too, within a few days!

    What sorts of food do you usually have for dinner?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm his brother and he eat's a lot. He usually eats lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat heaps too. I once had ten Weetbix for breakfast! I didn't eat for the rest of that day.

      Never again!

      Billy

      Delete
  4. Hi Loto

    Nice work I love your postcard It is very colourful and I like the pictures that you have added.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he's done such a great job, I am so impressed!

      Delete
  5. Malo Lelei Loto

    I like the way you put a native Forrest with some of New Zealand birds on your Postcard and i like the way you gave a reason to why it shouldn't be a rule to eat three veges and a Meat. You could also add some more details to the post card like the Sliver Fern. This Reminds me of The movie Narnia.

    If you Did have to go by the rules, Would you Tell your
    Parents to change the food or Just Keep it that way.

    Saia (Your Brother)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question,

      If I had to go by the rules, I still will ask my parents if we could have something else rather then having the same thing every day. Thank you for the question.

      By: Loto (your older brother)

      Delete
  6. Hey Loto!

    Great job with these activities! I've seen the names, George, Inoke and Aaliyahana pop up on some other blogs too, so they must be popular names! When I was at school, the popular names were Emma, Joshua and Jack.

    Very nice postcard, Loto! All the green and birds make me think of native New Zealand. It reminds me of a walking track I did near Turanga called Karekare Falls, which has a big waterfall at the end to swim in. Well done! Did you enjoy making it?

    Keep up the great blogging Loto!

    Nicky :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.